Monday, May 26, 2008

Honoring the troops

Today is the day we honor the soldiers killed in our wars. How do we do that? The traditional way is with ceremonies, speeches and parades. I was never one for ceremony. Ceremonies are big symbolic displays that have very little connection with reality. Everyone is expected to join in and any questioning of meaning is considered to be in very poor taste. It's holidays like this when the questions should be asked. I think asking why we keep adding to our roll of war dead is long overdue.

I think asking why we take time to honor the dead soldiers while ignoring the living ones is long overdue. I think asking why our soldiers are overseas "fighting for our freedom" while our own government is eroding it is long overdue. I think asking why our government expects our troops to make the ultimate sacrifice in wars that they themselves profit from is long overdue.

I think a change in who runs our government is long overdue. Making that change would be a real way to honor the fallen.

No comments: